Pinterest

Sunday, January 4, 2009

More cold weather & we got eggs again!!!!




Yesterday we went to a wedding. It was one of the best weddings I have been to. The weather was perfect for it, in the 60's. Then last night it very suddenly got real, real cold. And windy. One of those bone chilling goes right through your coat kind of cold winds. It is still cold today. I often think God has a sense of humor, and this wild weather is one of his jokes on mankind....60 on Saturday, 30 on Sunday, 70 on Monday, 20 and ice on Tuesday... Then he laughs at the people in shorts....

The only downside is somehow I managed to sprang my left thumb getting ready for the wedding. (I did it putting on pantyhose, you don't even want to know the rest of that story...) It is still quite sore today. (Another reason why not to wear those darn things)

I have been very lazy lately on my coupons and rebates. I used to be into it very big, and after I moved to the farm I kind of slowed down into granny gear. My brother teased me something awful when I moved, because he had the job of moving my shampoo box after I packed. With coupons, sales and rebates, shampoo is very easy to get free at Walgreen, CVS and Dollar General. So, I had about 48 or 49 bottles of shampoo and conditioner. (Why would i turn it down when its free??) Well, I have now used up my FREE supply (yes Tim it is gone-it lasted 2 1/2 years) so time to start back. The best items to get for free are shampoo, conditioner, deoderants and toothpaste. Our Dollar General often will sell shampoo for 75 cents so I have a lot of fun when I get a 75 cent off or more coupon. (Usually suave or white rain). Doesn't take much to entertain, me does it??

I think I am going to try and grow some celery (Amish wedding food) in the garden this year. I hear it is fairly easy to grow, but difficult to find the seeds. I have only made it through one seed catalogue so far, so am keeping an eye out for some seed.

After church, we stopped at the store to get a paper, and since my hens quit laying some eggs. Let me tell you, it really hurt to buy eggs when I have a coup full of hens and a rooster. Needless to say, I paid $1.99 for a dozen of white puny city eggs, and came home and found my hens have decided to start laying their nice big brown ones again.....

4 comments:

~*~The Family~*~ said...

Way go to your chickens for laying again! Eggs must just be really cheap where we live. A high price at the store would be $1.69, they are usually about $1.39. Eggs must be a loss leader here. This fall we were at a farmers' market in Bentonville, Arkansas and a vendor was selling brown eggs for $4.00 a dozen. We sell them off our farm and some people won't buy them for $2.50. We just smile and say "thanks for stopping" because we have a lot of good customers who by dozens at a time. This year we had customers who were giving them to their family for Christmas gifts.

Anonymous said...

You can tell it is cold by the winter coat on the cow.

April said...

Yes, eggs are high here, so is bread, which is why I usually make ours. Part of the cost is due to the fact that we are 30 minutes out from the city (everything close to us is small towns), and we only have 1 grocery store. Brown eggs here are cheaper than in the city, in the city they pay big bucks for brown eggs (all but one of my girls lays brown eggs). I've seen the brown ones go for around $4 each.

Boomeyers said...

That weather is called "Living in Missouri" just like it will snow, rain, tornado, sleet and be sunny with a rainbow.... all in about 10 minutes! Would'nt have it any other way! ;)