OK, this has little to do with homeschooling, but, being an EMT and health educator, I sometimes find myself dealing with people who don't know things I assume they should know. Peanut allergies is one of them.
If a child or adult has a peanut allergy, that doesn't simply mean that they can't eat peanuts. It also means that YOU can not eat peanuts around them. It also means that you brush your teeth and wash your hands if you were exposed to peanuts or items containing peanuts BEFORE you contact them. YES, they can get a reaction by simply smelling your peanut butter breath.
To have a peanut allergy means they need to avoid ALL contact with peanuts. Duh, this also includes peanut butter, peanut cookies, foods cooked, fried or baked with peanut oil, sport stadiums, restaurants or bars that have peanut shells on the floor, sun or lotions that contain peanut oil, or even foods that were stirred with the same utensil or cooked in the same kitchen as one that prepared peanut containing items.
Yes, people can die from peanut allergies, as it can cause them to stop breathing.
Often, people who have peanut allergies also have allergies to other nuts as well, and sometimes to soy products. So, if you know someone who has a peanut allergy, do some quick research on it. And, please, respect their allergy by not eating a peanut butter cookie in front of them .