Pinterest

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Garden Indoors...

I garden year around.  During the spring, summer and early fall, my garden is outside.  The rest of the year, my garden is inside in a south window of my kitchen, where I have a small greenhouse.  I also have plants scattered here and there throughout the house, that rotate through the greenhouse.

This is my greenhouse- a $29 special, marked down less than half the original price when our local Pamida store closed.  I also use it to start seeds for the garden.  So, it pretty much gets used year around.  During the winter, I scoot it over a tad so that it catches half of a heat register, which at times gets it hot and steamy inside, and the plants love it.  During the summer, I move it over off the floor register so that it does not get the cold air from the A/C, as the plants don't like that as well. 


Some of the things I like to grow inside are onions, garlic and celery. (They can be moved outside later when its spring planting time).

My friend Shery shared this website with me, mommy of a monster.com that shows with pictures how to do this with leftovers from store bought celery, onions and garlic.  I thought I would share it with you.  This is a fun activity that the kids will like to help with, and will also like to help eat.

You can also add in growing sweet potato vines, avocados and more!

No comments: