It had character, too much character to be shoved into a corner of the garage, never seen, exposed to the heat and cold, abused...... So, I decided to rescue it.
I don't think the top and bottom went together originally They are of 2 different woods and construction styles, and the handles are different.
But, that adds to the character.
The wood has been damaged in several pieces. Some I repaired, others I left alone--for the character.
I tried to go for the shabby chic or distressed look. My husband though, calls it the "it looks like she didn't finish it look"....I even showed him pieces on eBay going for several thousands dollars with the same look....He wasn't impressed.
I declared it done--for now. Later I want to paint our bedroom, but I don't know what color. When I do, I will probably go over the piece with a paste stain to compliment the room color. That might be in a month, or five years from now. So, I went ahead and moved it into my bedroom, and relocated some other items into it. It provides great storage and a good place to show off some of the small antiques and glass items.
Now, I need to switch a couple other pieces of furniture around, to balance the room, as I now have 2 tall pieces side by side, and it just makes the room seem tilted.. That will be tomorrows project.