Pinterest

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

For my readers...What do you make on your own to save money or for a better quality product?

Like many homeschooling families, I stay home for the most part.  I say for the most part, because I do work some part time as an EMS instructor for my own business and also as a pinch hitter for a couple of friends in the same business.  I also sometimes sub teach.  The nice thing about my line of work is that I control when I want to work (or don't want to work).

My husband is the breadwinner.  We don't like credit and try to avoid it.  We try to owe no one, as the Bible teaches.  I like how this site puts it:

 Question: "What does the Bible say about managing your finances?"

Answer:
The Bible has a lot to say about managing finances. Concerning borrowing, the Bible generally advises against it. See Proverbs 6:1-5; 20:16; 22:7, 26-27 (“The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.... Do not be a man who strikes hands in pledge or puts up security for debts; if you lack the means to pay, your very bed will be snatched from under you”). Over and over again, the Bible warns against the accumulation of wealth and encourages us to seek spiritual riches instead. Proverbs 28:20: “A faithful man will be richly blessed, but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished.” See also Proverbs 10:15; 11:4; 18:11; 23:5.

Proverbs 6:6-11 offers wisdom concerning laziness and the financial ruin that inevitably results. We are told to consider the industrious ant who works to store up food for itself. The passage also warns against sleeping when we should be working at something profitable. A “sluggard” is a lazy, slothful person who would rather rest than work. His end is assured—poverty and want. At the other end of the spectrum is the one who is obsessed with gaining money. Such a one, according to Ecclesiastes 5:10, never has enough wealth to satisfy him and must be constantly grasping more and more. First Timothy 6:6-11 also warns against the trap of desiring wealth.


So, in order to stay within our means, I save where I can, and often make things others buy.

I'd like to hear from my readers.  What do you do to save?  What do you make that others buy?  I'd like to gather ideas and then share them with the rest of my followers.

For example, I sew and have been working with my daughters in sewing and crocheting, I bake our bread, make our laundry soap and cleaners.  We raise our own eggs, beef, fish, pork and garden.  We have fruit trees and a vineyard.

So, send me your ideas, projects, pictures, recipes for me to share.  Be sure to put your blog name or name on them so you get the credit!!

1 comment:

Miss Janet said...

Girl! Sounds like you've pretty much got it covered! LOL!

Blessings,
Janet