Pinterest

Friday, April 13, 2012

Oh no, pantry overload = buying no groceries for a month

We have 2 pantries.  One upstairs and a huge one (that resembles a store) downstairs.  Also, 2 frigs, and 4 freezers.  All are full. Over full, way over full.  Then I have another freezer that is a nonworking one that I store my large bag bags of flour, sugar, salt, oats and such in (I tend to get those in 20 to 50 lb bags)

Usually every fall and again right after winter (like a month ago) I inventory, and we use, rotate and restock.  But, I was bad and didn't do it last fall...yeah, or this March.  It must be done now before the garden starts producing and I start drying, canning, freezing even more.

So, I started with the first thing I pulled out of the big deep freeze, which was ground beef.  So, tonight we are having meatloaf, corn and a pasta salad, with Cheddar cheese biscuits.  To use up the rest of the family size package of ground beef we will also be having a crock pot of chili with corn bread one night and cheese burger casserole another.  So, the ground beef will take 3 meals.

Also, I came up with the makings for shrimp gumbo for a night, patio steaks for another, and then a sea food night of shrimp, crab legs and fish patties.  Also salmon patties, crab salad, at least 2 or more meals of spaghetti and meatballs (found 2 large gallon bags of frozen meatballs).

Also for deserts, came up with makings for several pumpkin pies, apple pie, cherry pie, pudding, tapioca and numerous cakes.

Tons of canned veggies and frozen veggies to go with.

My goal is no grocery shopping for a month except for milk, potatoes and possibly some cereal.  I make most of our bread, so bread won't be an issue.

Nine meals and I haven't really even looked yet or taken inventory.  In reality, this may take closer to 2 or 3 months to eat our way through it all!  We still have at least one hog in the big freezer and some beef as well.

So, needless to say, my grocery budget will be easy on the checking account for several months!

No comments: