Pinterest

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Talented Chicken

One of my hens laid an egg above the door, on the frame, in the hen house.  That took talent.  I am happy it didn't roll off and come down on my head.

I found it today, while cleaning out the chicken coup.  During the winter I use the deep litter method in the coup to keep the chickens warm.  Now that we have warmer days, I took all the deep litter out (which is pine shavings).

To make it easier to clean, I line all 14 of the nesting boxes and under their roost,  with cardboard before I put shavings in the nest.  Then, when it is time to clean, I just lift up the cardboard and it all goes into the compost.  Makes it much easier than raking it all out and it keeps the wooden floor dry.  I do similar for the duck house, although the ducks rarely use it.  However, a couple of my chickens do lay in it, and the cat hangs out in it a lot.

No comments: