Pinterest

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

She Only Wanted a Chicken Hammock

Sunday we did not let the chickens out.  While the ducks love the snow, the chickens would rather it go away.  Yesterday they were out for a short time.  This morning I let them out for the day.  A few stayed out and a couple went back into the much warmer coop.

Tonight I went out to lock up their coop.  We still have not managed to trap the possum, so I have to check the coop first to make sure it has not gotten back into the coop again.  No possum in the coop, but I was one hen short.  I could hear her, but could not find her.  Then I spotted her.

Our poultry pen is covered with poultry netting.  Somehow, she managed to get out of the pen (I suspect she followed me walking out this morning and I didn't notice).  She evidently tried to fly back into the pen, which she could not do, due to the netting on the top.   So, she was settled in on top the netting, with her legs through it, like it was a hammock.  I have no idea how long she has been there, but she wasn't there when I was last out around 3pm, so at the most she was up there less than 3 hours.  Needless to say, she was glad to see me.








I have been pleased with this net so far.  However, the hen, probably is not too pleased with it.  The snow did not weigh it down, the snow went right through it.  When the weather clears up some, I will need to tighten it up in the area where she came down.

No comments: