Truman trolley begins today in Independence. One buck buys rides all day. To catch the trolley at Union Station, call 816-512-5555. For hours, days and route details, go to www.visitindependence.com.
for details, go to www.visitindependence.com or call the Truman Trolley hotline, 816-512-5555
The “Truman Trolley”, a partnership between the Independence Square, Harry S. Truman Library and Museum and Independence Tourism, is set to begin on Tuesday, July 6 and run through October 2. ( no service during the Santa-Cali-Gon Days Festival, September 3-6).
The trolley can be boarded Monday through Saturday at 10:00 a.m. at Union Station for a nonstop ride to Independence (with advance reservations to 816-512-5555). Enjoy a convenient day trip to the one of a kind shops and restaurants on the Square as well as twelve of the city’s highlight attractions without the need to rent a car, take a taxi or ride the Amtrak train. A nonstop return trip to Union Station will leave the Independence Square at 5:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday
In Independence, the trolley will run continuously from 10:30 to 5:30, Monday through Saturday beginning at Clinton’s Soda Fountain, 100 W. Maple, on the Square. All day tickets cost $ 1 for ages 6 and up for a full circuit. Riders may get on and off at various stops without paying an additional fare.
After leaving Clinton’s, the trolley will stop at the following attractions in this order:
• National Frontier Trails Museum and Chicago and Alton 1879 Depot (both at 318 W. Pacific), as well as the Bingham-Waggoner Estate, (across the street at 313 W. Pacific).
• Mormon heritage sites at River and Walnut (Community of Christ Temple and Auditorium, and Mormon Visitors Center, Church of Christ Temple Lot )
• Truman sites (Truman Home at 219 N. Delaware and Harry S. Truman Library and Museum, 500 W. U. S. 24 Highway)
• Vaile Victorian Mansion, 1500 N. Liberty.
• Truman Home Ticket and Visitor Center, 223 N. Main (see an orientation film here and buy tickets for Truman Home Tour) and 1859 Jail and Marshal’s Home, 217 N. Main.
Listen to a narration by the driver about city highlights and watch tourism videos as you ride..
For more information, call the Truman Trolley information line at (816) 512-5555. For a complete list of all tourism attractions and summer events, go to www.visitindependence.com.