Pinterest

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Ants Came Marching Two by Two.......

Evidently the shortest route to go from southern Clinton County to northern Clinton County is this : go up 2 stories on the back outside of my house, slip under the siding, come in near the floor joist, come up under the backside of the trim around the tub, go along my bathroom floor for 9 inches only to disappear behind JD's sink and reappear under my sink. Then you must trek up the vanity cabinet across the top and back down to the floor. At that point you disappear under the trim and go down to the basement ceiling walking upside down until you get to the north wall. Then you proceed back up about 4 feet and go through the wall and exit out on the front porch.

I hate the little buggers. I had a whole trail of a couple hundred of them. So, I put out the Terro. Now the Terro works well if you have some patience. I have no patience when it comes to bugs, snakes, bats, spiders or anything else that looks ugly and invades my house. Terro works by wiping out the entire nest after the ants carry it back home. Trouble is, they all have to tell their buddies that this good looking sweet syrup is there, so EVERYONE comes to get some, and makes several trips. So, in the mean time my couple hundred ants has increased to 178,435 of them making the trek across my bathroom....

I can not put the Terro outside because it rains daily, and we have cats, dogs, chickens and ducks that I don't want to kill.

Chickens love to eat ants. They are eating them by where they come in, but just not fast enough.

I have observed some interesting facts about ants by watching their migration through my house. #1) they don't give up and are rather stubborn #2) they are night sleepers and are most active around 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. #3) ALL of the worker ants work. There is no boss or bosses standing around watching. MODOT should take a lesson or two from them. You think I am kidding?? Why does it take 4 MODOT workers standing around to watch one guy put cones along I35 to block off a lane that isn't going to be worked on for 2 more weeks...OK, now I am getting sided tracked...#4)It is true that queen ants live for several years and have millions of babies. A good part of them live here! #5) An ant can indeed pick up 20 times its own weight. and #6) Ants don't have ears, (so those talking ants on the TV shows got that one wrong) They hear by vibrations. If you want to freak out an ant, stomp by it several times.

1 comment:

~*~The Family~*~ said...

We have been plauged with them as well only they have made their route through the kitchen. It warms my heart to see them bellied up to the Terro bar.