Pinterest

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Family Night

With everything going on around here, tonight we decided to skip our usual Wednesday night Bible study and have a much needed night home with the family.  JD goes back to work tomorrow, so it was tonight or never.

JD made his famous chex-mix, we lit a fire in the fireplace, played board games, and I made a couple of my moms famous pineapple upside down cakes.  It has been a long time since I baked them--usually Rebecca does a large amount of the baking around here, including the cakes.




The secret to making these is they taste so much better when baked in cast iron (most things do).    The downside to making this in cast iron, is, it is too heavy for us to flip onto the stoneware plates we put it on, so we can only bake it when JD is off work.  The recipe for this is here on my blog under the recipe section.  I think my mom originally got it from her Becky Crocker cookbook (a late 1940's or early 50's edition).  But, the recipe that is in my newer Becky Crocker cookbook is different and not quite as good.

You can also change out this recipe and make it with mandarin oranges instead of pineapple, and substitute orange juice for the pineapple juice.  That is really good for a breakfast or brunch.  It is a thin cake, so not too filling.