Pinterest

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Winter Blahs....


We have snow.  The local schools have been out since Tuesday.  As usual, we got a lot of drifting, and the county plowed our driveway shut.  Our road drifted shut within an hour after the county cleared it, but we have some nice neighbors who have been keeping my county road open.  Tues we could get out, but Wednesday we were drifted back in.  Once again, the neighbors opened the road.  Once you make it to the road, your fine.  But, it takes a 4x4 or the tractor to get out of the driveway.

Last night it was bitterly cold.  For some reason, Momma Cat brought her kittens out of their warm home and onto our front porch, were I found them this morning.  We worked on trying to save them.  Butterscotch (my husbands favorite) did not make it.  I think Wampus Kitty will.  We have been working on her all day. We warmed her up gradually, gave her drops of warm honey and finally she started drinking some warm milk.  But, momma cat wont have anything to do with her.  I don't understand why she brought them to the front porch.  They have 2 spots where they can go outside that are nice and warm--one is in the barn, and the other is in the chicken coop.  By looking at the tracts, it appears she carried them up.  No way the kittens could have gotten back on their own as some of the drifts she crossed are 3 foot tall.  So, they stayed where she put them and froze.

She will spend the next few nights in a cat carrier in the house.  She is doing so much better than she was this morning.  She was frozen and stiff, and is now able to walk some, meow, and drink warm milk and honey on her own.  However, she prefers to be on someones lap on my heat pad, wrapped up in a towel.  She was having seizures earlier, but they seem to have gone away now.

Normally we don't allow cats in the house, as my husband is allergic.  And, our barn cats are working cats. Without them we would lose a lot more grain and feed to the birds and mice.

Tomorrow I have my follow up appointment with my local doctor from my emergency surgery I had last week in Indiana.  This will determine if I can come off of restrictions that my Indiana doctor put me on, or have additional surgery, which he thinks I need.  I'd rather just take a magic pill and be done with it all, but evidently they don't make such a thing.


No comments: