Pinterest

Saturday, February 1, 2014

2014 Garden Beginnings

Even though the ground is covered with ice and snow....my 2014 garden is underway.

My garlic is now up around 6-8 inches...... (about the same as the snow outside...)  I've heard people say it has to be planted in the fall.  I have always had good luck, and have never started garlic in the fall, always in January.


My little greenhouse sits in along a row of south windows.  You can't tell by this photo, but there is a floor register under it.  That gives it a shot of heat every now and then, if we have the heat on.


I planted my onion seeds today, and they too will be sprouting in about a week or a little more.  I've been told that if you trim the tops of the onion and garlic, that forces them to grow a better bulb.  So, this year I will be trimming them down.

Tomorrow I will soak my asparagus seeds, and then plant them in dirt on Monday.  I have wanted an asparagus bed for several years, and since it takes 2-3 years before you can harvest, I decided if I didn't get it done this year, it would be another 4 year delay....So, will finally do it.

Most of my seeds are from last years harvest, or off of ebay.

No comments: