Pinterest

Monday, September 20, 2010

Thanks but no thanks, internet explorer......

I hate how the hardware/software computer people try and force a person into always buying upgrades.

I have not been able to access my blog from home for quite awhile. I was getting messages that my browser was too old...So, after taking some advice from friends, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and once again I am able to post!

I had been adding some photos onto facebook, when suddenly I got a message that they would no longer accept ie6 (after I loaded 6 photos). It refused to allow me to load the last 3 photos. And, none of our computers would accept the upgrade to ie7 or ie8....

So, now I can access sites that before I was unable to-including my blog and some online textbooks. It is still slow, but I am a step ahead of where I was. But, slow is to be expected since only dial up is available in our area.

A lot has been happening since my last post.

New homeschool coops are forming, (and later this week I will be posting some information about those), the girls are enjoying volleyball (they are on the local Christian School team along with a slew of other homeschool girls), we have been processing food.

The girls have also started guitar lessons with a wonderful Christian lady from our church who is in our praise band, and plays numerous instruments and also sings. The best is-she is better than most other teachers, it is the perfect location (at church, right after church-we just take a quick sack lunch to eat first) and I love her prices. Since all my girls are at the same level, I can have them all in one lesson and she teaches them together and the same price I would have paid for just one. Otherwise, I don't know that I could afford private lessons for all of them. Later, we may add piano to it as well, but first we need to hunt down a couple more garage sale keyboards. They have already learned a few songs, and will be in a recital around Christmas time.

I have been busy canning peaches, apples, applesauce, apple jelly, and dehydrating food-mainly apples, peppers, and onions. I felt I was spending too much time in the kitchen, so went and spent some money on a little gadget that will peal, core and slice an apple all with the crank of a handle.

I also bought a food dehydrator. I could have used the oven, but this is much more energy efficient, and does not tie up the oven for long periods of time. My dehydrator even came with a jerky maker and the device to make fruit roll ups as well. Our apple chips have come out well, and I am waiting for bananas to go on sale to make banana chips. I am also going to try and make soup in a jar, or in a ziplock bag. I intend to dry my peppers, onions, tomatoes, rice or barley and other veggies, and meat, and then add broth powder and seasoning. I will divide it up into bags or jars and then on a busy winter day morning, just dump the entire thing into the crockpot, add water and simmer all day. By suppertime it should be ready to go.

No comments: